BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Entertainment  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 1 August, 2002, 12:51 GMT 13:51 UK
US TV's ad-free terror tribute
Tribute of light over World Trade Center
A tribute of light was one of the first marks of respect
US TV network Fox has announced it will not be showing advertisements on the first anniversary of the 11 September terrorist attacks.

The decision will cover both Fox's main TV network and its dedicated news channel.

T

The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was not the right thing to do to solicit advertising

Paul Rittenberg, Fox News

The loss of commercials for a full day, and around programmes expected to attract a large number of viewers, could cost Fox around $5m (£3m).

Paul Rittenberg, head of sales for Fox News Channel, said showing ads on the first anniversary of the terror attacks on the US would be disrespectful.

"Maybe it's because I live in Park Slope [in Brooklyn, New York], but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was not the right thing to do to solicit advertising," Mr Rittenberg said.

Most of the day's programming on Fox News Channel will be devoted to commemorating the events that rocked the world a year earlier.

Fox's main network will show a two-hour evening special during peak-time viewing.

Cost cut

The main broadcasters in the US - and many other countries - will be marking the anniversary of the terror attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.

However, most advertisers are reluctant to include tribute messages in their commercials.

Many have said they will not put out ads at all on TV on 11 September, whether or not they are wanted by the networks.

Mr Rittenberg added that they might only participate on 11 September if they were granted a reduced price, or given free advertising at another time.

None of the US networks have announced advertisers or sponsors for their day's programming.

On the day of the attacks last year, and for three days afterwards, several US networks did not show any ads.

The loss of advertising revenue cost the US broadcasting industry an estimated $200m (£129m).

See also:

06 Mar 02 | Americas
06 Jun 02 | Entertainment
05 Oct 01 | Entertainment
14 Sep 01 | Entertainment
18 Nov 01 | Entertainment
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Entertainment stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes