BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 1 August, 2002, 11:58 GMT 12:58 UK
Man dies after TA base attack
A security operation at the TA base
The area was cordoned off after the explosion
A man has died after a device exploded at a Territorial Army base on the outskirts of Londonderry.

The incident happened at 0720 BST on Thursday at the camp on the Limavady Road in the city.

David Caldwell, a 51-year-old civilian contractor, was taken to Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry where he died a short time later.

The former soldier with the Ulster Defence Regiment is thought to have picked up a device concealed in a lunchbox, which then exploded.


These people are lifesavers and it's outrageous that such an incident should occur in such a place

Army spokesman

An Army spokesman described the incident as "an outrage, a despicable cowardly attack on an innocent civilian and should be condemned by all law-abiding people".

He said the base was closed in July last year and had no role in security operations in Northern Ireland.

Units based there included 152 Ambulance Regiment and 253 Field Ambulance, which provided TA personnel for peacekeeping and humanitarian tasks all over the world.

"These people are lifesavers and it's outrageous that such an incident should occur in such a place," he said.

The attack was condemned by Secretary of State John Reid who described it as "utterly contemptible".

Secretary of State John Reid
John Reid: Condemned those responsible

"It is tragic that another family has been plunged into despair and grief as a result of a savage and cowardly attack," he said.

"Those who murdered this man at a volunteer medical centre are determined to bring down the peace process and the Belfast Agreement."

Police Inspector Bob Torrens said the investigation was at an early stage.

"It's too early to say what caused the explosion, what sort of device caused the explosion or even who to attribute it to."

Northern Ireland First Minister David Trimble and Deputy First Minister Mark Durkan both condemned the attack.

"Once again, we have seen how the actions of those opposed to peace bring pain and suffering to an innocent family," they said in a joint statement.

"Those who placed this device have nothing positive to offer the people of Northern Ireland."

Gregory Campbell MP DUP
The DUP's Gregory Campbell condemned the attack

Democratic Unionist East Londonderry MP Gregory Campbell said the prime minister could no longer argue the peace process was working.

"Two days ago I was sitting in Downing Street and when we outlined the worsening situation, he expressed surprise and almost disbelief.

"Now 48 hours later, we couldn't have more tangible evidence that things aren't working."

Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness said the killing was "absolutely and totally wrong".

"These attacks, whether by rejectionist loyalists or dissident republicans, are attacks on the peace process and must be condemned in the most forthright and unequivocal terms."

Irish Foreign Minister Brian Cowen said: "The people who carried out this cold blooded and cowardly act represent nobody but themselves."

A bomb attack in February at Magilligan Army base, County Londonderry, left a civilian worker critically injured.

At the time, police said they believed dissident republicans, opposed to the Northern Ireland peace process, were responsible.

Dissidents have also been blamed for attacks on nearby Army bases at Ballykelly and Ebrington.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Gregory Campbell, MP for east Londonderry:
"We've said all along that if these attacks continued there would be a murder"
BBC NI's Brian Kernohan:
"The area remains sealed off with several houses evacuated"
See also:

01 Aug 02 | N Ireland
08 Feb 02 | N Ireland
08 Feb 02 | N Ireland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes