BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: Programmes: Breakfast  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Breakfast Thursday, 1 August, 2002, 05:04 GMT 06:04 UK
Military equipment unfit for desert combat
British Commando Marines on exercise
UK troops could be deployed in Iraq
Much of the army's equipment is not up to the rigours of desert warfare. That is today's conclusion of a government watchdog which has studied kit failures during a training exercise in Oman.

A report by the National Audit Office in London has found that tanks, helicopters, self-propelled guns and heavy lifting vehicles all struggled in the desert heat and dust.

  • Breakfast spoke to the Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram:


    Adam Ingram MP
    "Many of the issues are being addressed"

    The operation was a major success to the UK. It did expose shortfalls and weaknesses but that was part of the purpose of the exercise.

    Many of the issues are being addressed, there are major replacement programmes in place... every time we've put our people in the front line, they've succeeded against the odds

  • The BBC's Defence Correspondent Paul Adams says there was serious problems with important pieces of equipment:

    It also concluded that some of the clothing issued to troops was hopelessly inadequate and that boots melted in the heat.

    Such shortcomings may have relevance for any military strike against Iraq as speculation mounts that Britain may join a possible US-led attack to oust Saddam Hussein.

    For three months last year, 22,000 British troops went to Oman for Saif Sareea, Britain's biggest desert exercise since the Gulf War.

    The National Audit Office report says the UK was successful in sending forces a long distance but aircraft were very stretched.

    Half the tanks and nearly half the helicopters broke down.

    Parts of some artillery guns melted and many troops sweltered in boots and uniforms designed for British winters.

    The army's main battle tank - Challenger 2 - ground to a halt as dust clogged its filters.

    Communications' systems were vulnerable, which resulted in some units unable to talk to each other.

    Such revelations suggest Britain may struggle to take part in any US-led attack on Iraq.

  • Home
    When we are on air
    Recent forums
    Programme archive
    Studio tour
    Today's information
    MEET THE TEAM
    Presenters
    Reporters
    YOUR SAY
    Contact us
    Your comments
    See also:

    01 Aug 02 | Middle East
    23 Oct 01 | UK
    22 Oct 01 | UK
    20 Oct 01 | South Asia
    11 Oct 01 | UK
    Internet links:


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


     E-mail this story to a friend

    Links to more Breakfast stories

    © BBC ^^ Back to top

    News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
    South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
    Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
    Programmes