BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 30 July, 2002, 16:51 GMT 17:51 UK
Shelling in Burundi capital
(l-r) Vice-President Domicien Ndayizeye, Nelson Mandela and President Pierre Buyoya
Sharing power has not ended the war
Around seven people have been killed after a night of shelling in the Burundi capital, Bujumbura.

The BBC's Prime Ndikumagenge said that 11 shells had been fired on different parts of the city from near the airport.


Randomly launching rockets without knowing where they fall or whether they can fall on your sister or brother is terrorism

Army spokesman Colonel Augustin Nzabampema
The latest deaths come as Vice-President Domicien Ndayizeye travels to Uganda to ask President Yoweri Museveni to put pressure on the rebels to start negotiations.

A power-sharing government between ethnic Tutsis and Hutus was sworn in last November but two Hutu rebel groups have continued fighting.

Our correspondent told the BBC Focus on Africa programme that there had not been a massive response from the army but Bujumbura residents are angry at the continuing war.

He says they blame both the government and the rebels.

"The politicians are making fun of our lives," one resident told him.

Role reversal

It was not clear which rebel group was responsible for firing the shells.

Both the National Liberation Front (FLN) and the Forces for the Defence of Democracy (FDD) stayed out of the peace process, saying the army was still dominated by ethnic Tutsis, a minority which has traditionally ruled Burundi.

Army spokesman Colonel Augustin Nzabampema said condemned the attack as "a pure act of terrorism".

Burundi refugees
Thousands have been displaced by the fighting

"Randomly launching rockets without knowing where they fall or whether they can fall on your sister or brother is terrorism," he said.

Peace talks scheduled to take place in Dar es Salaam were recently cancelled but Mr Ndayizeye hopes they can finally start next Sunday, reports the Associated Press news agency.

These would be the first direct talks between the government and the rebel groups.

Mr Ndayizeye went to Dar es Salaam last weekend for talks with Tanzanian Government officials.

Mr Ndayizeye, an ethnic Hutu, is due to take over as president from Pierre Buyoya next April, under the power-sharing deal brokered by former South African President Nelson Mandela.

Earlier this week, five Tutsi parties started boycotting the national assembly, accusing ethnic Hutu lawmakers of being allied to the rebels.

See also:

17 Jul 02 | Africa
05 Apr 02 | Africa
25 Dec 01 | Africa
07 Mar 02 | Country profiles
04 Jul 02 | Africa
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes