BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 31 July, 2002, 05:06 GMT 06:06 UK
US troops prepare to leave Philippines
US troops walk under the engine of a plane that will take them out of the Philippines
Soldiers have packed up belongings and helicopters
American forces are preparing to pull out of the southern Philippines after six months providing training and advice to the army in its war against Muslim rebels.

About 1,000 US military advisers and support units have been helping counter guerrillas of the Abu Sayyaf group, which Washington says has links to the al-Qaeda network.

Pro-US demonstrations in Zamboanga
Five people were injured in clashes between pro- and anti-US demonstrators
Despite being welcomed by many Filipinos, the US military presence has angered others in the former American colony.

Campaigners are planning to hold demonstrations at the weekend in protest at an agreement to be signed in Manila by the US Secretary of State, Colin Powell, allowing American military advisers to return to the Philippines permanently.

The opponents of the US action claim it threatens a return to colonialism, but some local people have welcomed the extra protection they believe the troops have brought against the guerrillas.

At least five people were injured early on Tuesday in the southern city of Zamboanga when residents threw rocks at a convoy of anti-US protesters from other provinces.

Sense of security

The US says the Abu Sayyaf has links with Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda organisation, though it is better known as a kidnap-for ransom group.

Last year it kidnapped two US missionaries, one of whom was rescued by troops, though her husband died in the operation.

One supporter of the US presence, Hermie Revillas, said she had enjoyed a sense of security she felt would disappear with the Americans.

"It was a very big help to us," she said.

Philippine officials have said there will be a new series of training exercises with the Americans beginning in October for at least eight months.

See also:

23 Jul 02 | Asia-Pacific
18 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
12 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
19 Mar 02 | Asia-Pacific
02 Feb 02 | Asia-Pacific
06 Dec 01 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes