![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 17:56 GMT World: Middle East Islamic Jihad claims bombing ![]() The father of the suicide bomber with a photo of his dead son The militant Palestinian group Islamic Jihad says it carried out Friday's attack at a Jerusalem market which killed two suicide bombers and injured more than 20 Israelis.
Several members of Islamic Jihad have been arrested by the Palestinian security forces. The Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, had earlier promised what he called a 100% effort against terrorism. Palestinian dissident radio, Al-Quds, said that one of the perpetrators, 22-year-old Yusuf Muhammad Ali al-Sughayr, had been released three months before, following a two-year detention in "Zionist enemy jails" charged with belonging to the Islamic Jihad Movement.
Earlier, Islamic Jihad's Secretary-General also said his group had carried out the attack. In an interview with the Arabic service of Radio Monte Carlo, Mr Shallah confirmed that the two bombers, both killed in the blast, had been "martyrs of the Islamic Jihad".
A leaflet, faxed to newsagencies in Jerusalem in the name of Islamic Jihad on Saturday, said: "This heroic attack, which was not the first and will not be the last, was carried out ... to confront the great conspiracy that aims to liquidate the Palestinian cause through the Oslo and Wye Plantation agreements." Palestinian arrests Palestinian forces moved against the militant Islamic Jihad group, arresting several activists, Palestinian officials said on Saturday. Yasser Arafat's Palestinian Authority pledged to crack down on militants after the Friday attack, but said Israel should not use the incident to avoid implementing the Wye River accord. Israel has demanded Palestinians clamp down not only on militants but on their supporting infrastructure - meaning schools, mosques and charities which the Israelis say serve as fronts for militant activities. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||