Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 23:22 GMT


World: Europe

Envoy slams Yugoslav 'haven' for war criminals

Access to Kosovo refugees has been barred by Belgrade

The US State Department's war crimes envoy has condemned the Yugoslav government for actions that he said effectively declared the country a safe haven for war criminals.


Kosovo Section
His comments follow an announcement by the authorities in Belgrade that the war crimes tribunal in The Hague had no jurisdiction over the troubled province of Kosovo.

The envoy, David Scheffer was speaking at an international conference on war crimes in the Yugoslav capital, Belgrade attended by lawyers and prosecutors from across the country.

Also attending are speakers from Bosnia, Croatia, ethnic Albanians from Kosovo and Serbians.

He said the court had been established by the UN Security Council in 1993 in response to the carnage in the former Yugoslavia and no country had the right to refuse its jurisdiction.

"This is not a debatable issue," he said.

'Serious violations'

Mr Scheffer said there were reasons to believe that "serious violations of international law" were committed in Kosovo.

"In the UN Security Council there is unanimous consent of all its members that investigators of The Hague tribunal have full authority to do their job in Kosovo," he said.


[ image: UN War Crimes Tribunal Prosecutor Louise Arbour]
UN War Crimes Tribunal Prosecutor Louise Arbour
On Wednesday the tribunal's Chief Prosecutor Louise Arbour and her team of investigators were told by the Belgrade government that they would not be allowed to visit Kosovo.

In protest Ms Arbour cancelled her planned attendance at the Belgrade meeting.

The government said Yugoslav forces had been engaged in a "legitimate repression" of a "separatist and terrorist" Albanian movement by government forces.

But the US envoy said government arguments "that this is strictly an internal armed conflict completely ignores the facts of what has occurred."

The tribunal's president, Gabrielle Kirk McDonald has also condemned the action as "a further example of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia's disregard for the norms of the international community."

UN sanctions

The government has been threatened with UN sanctions if the authorities continue to defy their demands for unlimited access and their refusal has overshadowed the two day conference.

Three resolutions this year have called on the Yugoslav authorities to cooperate with the tribunal. Western countries are now likely to press for a fourth.

At the start of the conference Serbian lawyer, Milan Vujin, delivered a vigorous attack on the activities of he tribunal.

He said the body had been set up for political motives to punish Yugoslavia, and that many of its statutes contradict one another.

But the US envoy rejected the charge saying the integrity of its prosecutors and judges was unquestionable.

He said the tribunal was an international effort to create a deterrent to such crimes taking place.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

05 Nov 98 | Europe
Kosovo war crimes probe blocked

13 Oct 98 | Kosovo
Kosovo conflict at a glance

13 Oct 98 | Kosovo
Will the deal work?

13 Oct 98 | Europe
Agreement in Belgrade

02 Oct 98 | Europe
UN condemns Kosovo atrocities





Internet Links


Statement by Justice Louise Arbour on Kosovo

Human Rights Watch Kosovo

Serbian Information Ministry

Kosovo Information Centre

International War Crimes Tribunal on the former Yugoslavia


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift