![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 20:34 GMT UK Charity rebels lose stag hunting vote ![]() Font failed to overturn the ban on stag hunting Pro-hunting protesters have failed to overturn the ban on stag hunting by the National Trust, the UK's largest independent landowner and countryside charity.
There were vociferous pro-hunting demonstrations both inside and outside the AGM, which attracted more than 2,000 members. Supporters of the splinter group Friends of the National Trust (Font) wanted to remove the ban affecting 1,000 acres of Exmoor and the Quantock Hills in Somerset. The area is where most stag hunting in Britain takes place. A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports welcomed the outcome. "We are absolutely delighted," he said. Heckling and stamping The BBC Environment Correspondent, Margaret Gilmore, said the debate was "pretty lively" with plenty of heckling, stamping and shouting. Only one pro-hunting candidate won election to the charity's eight-member council - Hugh Van Cutsem, a farmer and conservationist from Hilborough, Norfolk. The three Font resolutions critical of the trust's management were all defeated. The trust Chairman, Charles Nunneley, who was himself elected to the council, welcomed the results. "There were a large number of people in the hall from the West Country who wished to express their serious dissatisfaction with the trust's decision not to issue licences for stag hunting and we have no objection to that," he said. "They conducted a well-publicised campaign to make sure our membership voted in favour of their resolutions. "But I am very glad to say that the result was that less than 1% were persuaded for the resolutions put forward by Font and their friends." He added that he was "delighted" to welcome Font supporter Hugh Van Cutsem onto the Trust council. "He has very good countryside credentials."
"We are delighted one of our candidates was elected. Mr Cutsem is a well known conservationist and enthusiast for the countryside," he said. "He at least will stand up and use his own judgement as to what is truly best for the National Trust's aims and objectives. "This is only the beginning. A strength of feeling is such that we will continue until sense comes to the leadership." 'Countryside before commercialism' The protesters had also accused the trust's executive of becoming too commercial and failing in its primary goal of preserving and conserving the nation's heritage. Baroness Ann Mallalieu, QC, criticised the trust for "failing to stand up for the countryside".
The baroness accused the trust's ruling council of encouraging blatant commercialism. "Somewhere along the line the direction has started to go very wrong," she said. "I am not just referring to the teashops, the scented cushions and the tea towels or the holiday homes or the selling off of land for development or cottages for weekenders in villages where the community is under threat. "There are examples of these in trust properties all over Britain. Something far deeper and more damaging is going on." Last month, the 52-member council refused to lift the controversial ban imposed last year on deer hunting with hounds on trust land. The council upheld its decision not to re-issue hunting licences despite new scientific evidence, funded by the pro-hunting Countryside Alliance, that challenges the view that hunted animals experience cruelty. |
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||