![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 05:53 GMT World: Middle East Arafat vows to fight bombers ![]() The blast came at a time when many Israelis were out shopping The Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, has gone on Israeli television to vow that his security services will do all they can against Palestinian militant groups.
The Israeli government suspended consideration of ratifying the latest peace agreement on news of the attack.
But in Washington, President Clinton urged both Israel and the Palestinians to press ahead with the peace process, despite the bomb attack. Busy market target
The blast ripped through the Mahane Yehouda market in prodominantly Israeli West Jerusalem. In July, several Israelis were killed at the same location by suicide bombers. On this occassion, the blast came as many people were out shopping before the Jewish sabbath, which begins on Friday.
Israeli police said the two dead were suicide bombers belonging to the Islamic militant group, Hamas. But later, the Israeli Justice Minister, Tsahi Hanegbi, said the bombing was almost certainly carried out by the Islamic Jihad group.
A Palestinian spokesman, Hassan Asfour, has condemned the bombing, saying all his colleagues in the Palestinian Authority were against terrorist attacks, whose only aim was to destroy the peace process. Another Palestinian official, Nabil Abu Rudeina, called on the United States administration to intervene immediately to help implement the recent agreement between the two sides. The US President, Bill Clinton, condemned the bombing. He said the "outrageous and cowardly" act should not derail the Middle East peace process. Last week two people were killed in a bomb attack on a bus carrying Israeli schoolchildren. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||