Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 05:05 GMT


World: Americas

Colombian troops 'withdrawn'

President Pastrana (left) says peace is a priority

The government of Colombia says it has completed the withdrawal of all police and soldiers from a rebel stronghold covering much of the south of the country.

The move is an effort to bring about the first peace talks between the government and rebels in six years.

Five townships are being turned over to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (or FARC) for 90 days.


[ image: FARC rebels control large areas of Colombia]
FARC rebels control large areas of Colombia
The rebels, whose stated goals are land redistribution and social reform, have been in conflict with the Colombian state for more than 30 years.

The zone covers an area of 42,000 square kilometres, roughly the size of Switzerland, and its northernmost border comes within 100 km of the capital.

Government forces have been withdrawing over the last three weeks, but civil authorities will remain in their posts with the authority to deputise citizens for law enforcement.

De facto government

The area has long been considered territory of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, who act as the de facto government in as much as a third of Colombia's national territory.

The FARC have been fighting against the state for 34 years and have grown to number 15,000.

Earlier this week, the FARC destroyed a police station in the jungle town of Mitu, killing at least 30 police, soldiers and civilians.

There is no ceasefire yet on the agenda, and it is not yet clear when actual talks will begin. When they do they will be the first direct negotiations in six years.

Right-wing paramilitaries have announced their intentions to sabotage the talks by entering the zone and killing residents who they suspect of sympathising with the guerrillas.

Paramilitaries who work alongside the Colombian army have killed at least 40 civilians in the last three weeks.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

03 Nov 98 | Americas
Colombia rebels raid police base

15 Oct 98 | Americas
Colombian troops withdraw from rebel stronghold

10 Jul 98 | Americas
Guerrillas' 40-year war





Internet Links


US State Department report on Colombia


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

From Business
Microsoft trial mediator appointed

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

From Entertainment
Taxman scoops a million

Violence greets Clinton visit

Bush outlines foreign policy

Boy held after US school shooting

Memorial for bonfire dead

Senate passes US budget

New constitution for Venezuela

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Hurricane Lenny abates

UN welcomes US paying dues

Chavez praises 'advanced' constitution

In pictures: Castro strikes out Chavez

WTO: arbitration in EU-Ecuador banana dispute

Colombian army chief says rebels defeated

Colombian president lambasts rebels