![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 11:20 GMT UK TV company stands by abdication claim ![]() Prince Charles: "Tiring" of denials A TV company is standing by its allegation that the Prince of Wales wants the Queen to abdicate. In a strongly-worded statement on Friday, the Prince said it would be "ludicrous" to believe the "outrageous and hurtful" claims made in the LWT documentary, Charles At 50, to be broadcast on Sunday evening. LWT would not name the Palace official who gave them a series of briefings but said that key points had been double-checked. "We specifically asked for information on the Prince of Wales's thinking on the future of the monarchy. ... The key points in the briefing were reiterated at least twice and were checked again as recently as this week," said a spokeswoman. Royal biographer astonished Prince Charles' biographer, Jonathan Dimbleby, came to the prince's defence saying the abdication claim was "quite fantastic".
"I find it absolutely astonishing and out of character." He described the relationship between the prince and the Queen as "reverential" and that he would never even think There were bound to be tensions between St James's and Buckingham Palace, but they were differences arising from the generation gap and differences in character and style, he went on. The prince's denials comes two weeks after he and his long-time friend Camilla Parker-Bowles released a joint statement following revelations in a new book by Penny Junor. The prince made it plain the book was not authorised, solicited or approved by the couple. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||