![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, November 6, 1998 Published at 16:17 GMT Sport: Football Pele wants World Cup in Africa ![]() Pele hopes Africa can overcome practical difficulties Brazilian football legend Pele says he would like to see the 2006 World Cup staged in Africa rather than England.
In particular he raised concerns over whether South Africa - thought to be the continent's front-runner - could produce satisfactory facilities for the 32-team tournament. FIFA President Sepp Blatter confirmed he favoured a bid from Africa after a meeting with Prime Minister Tony Blair and supporters of England's bid last week.
This is despite strong competition from England and Germany and possible bids from his own country and Argentina. "The World Cup should be in a country with enough potential to host the competition," said the 58-year-old on a visit to London. "Africa are the only continent who have never had a World Cup and they will be invited to try to host it and they have a lot of potential. "I think to do it properly only South Africa could do it." But, speaking on BBC Radio Five Live, he warned: "To have a World Cup with 32 countries is very expensive and I think the country should be prepared for that." What he called "a strong financial country" with the right conditions was needed. In a separate interview, he added: "When we talk about Africa we talk with the heart. "We cannot talk about the heart in business. This is a big business now. Today business is very, very important." 'Big fight' Pele told 5 Live's Sybil Ruscoe, "this is a big fight," although he admitted his own country was unlikely to win the right to host the tournament. England and Germany are widely acknowledged to have the strongest bids after working on their proposals and stadia for several years. "England is one of the places I like the most to see and to stay," said the Brazilian. "Always I feel good to be here." But he warned the English and German bids that FIFA's policy of trying to stage the World Cup in rotation could go against them. A European tournament in 2006 would be just eight years after France 98, and Pele said that could be too soon. The Brazilian's comments came on the day that the Government were forced to deny reports that the Prime Minister had withdrawn his personal support for England's bid. Sports Minister Tony Banks insisted that a newspaper report claiming Tony Blair had backtracked on the bid following Blatter's comments as "absolutely absurd". |
Football Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||