![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, November 6, 1998 Published at 10:42 GMT Sport: Football Banks: World Cup still a possibility ![]() The 2006 World Cup could still be held in England, according to Tony Banks
Mr Banks described as "absolutely absurd" suggestions that Mr Blair had withdrawn his active support from the bid, stating instead that he was behind it "one hundred and ten per cent". A Downing Street spokesman has also dismissed the idea that Mr Blair had been advised to distance himself from the bid because it stood little chance of success. "The Prime Minister has been right behind the bid from the start and continues to be so," a spokesman said. "He met Sepp Blatter last month and he has invited the Fifa executive over to London as part of our continuing efforts to bring World Cup 2006 to England." A report in the Financial Times newspaper suggested on Friday that aides had advised Mr Blair to draw back from actively promoting the bid, in an acknowledgement that England has lost the battle to host the contest because President of Fifa, Sepp Blatter, has thrown his weight behind a rival bid from South Africa. But, interviewed on BBC 1's Breakfast News, Mr Banks insisted there was still everything to play for and that Mr Blair was still fully committed to the idea. "Mr Blatter didn't say South Africa," insisted Mr Banks. "He said that if an African country can meet all Fifa's requirements _ then logically an African country should host the 2006 World Cup. "He said that during the time he was campaigning for President of Fifa, we knew that, he said it to the Prime Minister, he said it outside (Downing Street)." |
Football Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||