Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 15:18 GMT


Sport: Cricket

Bacher confident about tour

A hopeful Ali Bacher with West Indies manager Clive Lloyd

South African cricket chief Ali Bacher is confident the West Indies cricket tour of his country will go ahead.

Bacher is in London for last minute talks aimed at rescuing the trip.


Jeremy Vine talks to disappointed young cricketers in Soweto
He said he hoped the tour would be secured at a meeting on Sunday between West Indies Cricket Board president Pat Rousseau and the West Indies players.

Players' representative Courtney Walsh was also hopeful of a successful outcome.

A South African news agency quoted sources as saying sacked West Indies captain Brian Lara and his deputy, Carl Hooper would be reinstated.


[ image: Former Test fast bowler Joel Garner has been called in from Pakistan]
Former Test fast bowler Joel Garner has been called in from Pakistan
In London, however, former West Indies star Joel Garner, acting as a mediator on behalf of the West Indies Board, said: "All I can say to you is that we are nowhere near finding a solution."

Garner was summoned from the West Indies A tour of Pakistan to join the discussions.

Players and managers are staying in separate hotels, 400 yards apart, near London's Heathrow airport.


Players representative Courtney Walsh: "We're still very hopeful"
By Saturday lunchtime no direct talks between them were reported to have taken place.

Lara and Hooper were axed from the team earlier this week after refusing to join the 10-week tour in South Africa unless tour fees were increased.

Their stance won the support of their teammates, who were adamant that Lara and Hooper should be reinstated.


Ali Bacher: "I'm sure there'll be sufficient good will to find a resolution"
The players' representative Courtney Walsh said: "We are still very hopeful, that's why we are still here in London and not going back to the Caribbean or anywhere else."

On Friday personal letters from South African President Nelson Mandela were handed to the players pleading with them to tour.

The junior players are believed to be on around £23,000 for the tour, with more established members of the team earning £35,000. The team are still insisting that the fees are increased, and also want Lara and Hooper reinstated.

They are perpared to bide their time, with a spokesman indicating a willingness to "stay as long as we have to".

The first match of the tour is scheduled to start on Tuesday.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Cricket Contents


Relevant Stories

06 Nov 98 | Cricket
Pay dispute still threatens tour

05 Nov 98 | Cricket
W Indies sack Lara

04 Nov 98 | Cricket
Lara misses Windies crisis talks

07 Nov 98 | Cricket
Batting stars stage tour strike





Internet Links


CricInfo

West Indies Cricket


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Plucky England hang around

Saqlain stars in Aussie collapse

Solanki breathes life into draw

Headley on the mend

Black player drafted for England match

Worcester keep faith with McGrath

England 'A' battle on

ECB war against racism

New Zealand series 'rigged' - claim

England crank up the pace

Butcher beefs up England total

England 'A' ease to victory

Cricket ticket plan for ethnic minorities

Aussie win welcomes Waugh junior

Caddick takes double honour

Gough returns for tour game

Butcher facing chop

England scramble to a draw

Indians make world record stand

Cricket legend Malcolm Marshall dies

Malcolm Marshall: Scourge of batsmen

At a glance: Marshall tributes

An energetic enthusiast for cricket

Mashud denies England A