![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, November 6, 1998 Published at 07:46 GMT UK England hangs on to World Cup bid ![]() England's hopes seem to be fading Downing Street has denied a newspaper report that the government has given up hope of England staging the World Cup Finals in 2006.
Last week the ruling body of international football, Fifa, appeared to tone down its support for England's bid. After a visit to Downing Street, its president Sepp Blatter said he thought England would make a "very professional bid", but he felt there was a "natural logic" in the competition going to Africa. The Financial Times says Mr Blair has therefore been warned by his aides to keep his distance, in order not to associate himself with failure.
But there are worries that it may not have adequate infrastructure and facilities to stage the prestigious event. The country has until March 2000, when a formal decision will be made, to prove itself. The Financial Times quotes a Downing Street official as saying: "Mr Blatter has made it clear that if South Africa's facilities are not up to scratch, the games will come to us." But Fifa has denied this. Political correspondent Paul Rowley says England's chances of winning the World Cup bid are clearly receding. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||