BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Wednesday, 3 July, 2002, 07:00 GMT 08:00 UK
Bush regret over Afghan deaths
US troops at Bagram airbase outside Kabul
US forces are hunting al-Qaeda and Taleban remnants
US President George W Bush has offered his condolences to the families of Afghan civilians killed in an American air attack.


The president is concerned about reports from Afghanistan that innocent lives were lost

White House spokesman
Forty-four people died earlier this week when a wedding party was attacked in the central province of Uruzgan, the Afghan Government says.

The incident occurred during an operation by US-led coalition forces against fighters of the former Taleban authorities and Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.

US and Afghan officials are on their way to the village - Dehrawad, 400 kilometres (250 miles) south-west of Kabul - to investigate exactly what happened.

A young survivor of the bombing in hospital
Many of those injured were children
White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said: "The president is concerned about reports from Afghanistan that innocent lives were lost.

"We do not know what happened and we are working very hard to find out.

"On behalf of the American people, the president extends his deep condolences for the loss of innocent life no matter what the cause is determined to be."

Protest

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has protested to the US military authorities, and urged them to be more careful in their targeting.

Map of Afghanistan showing Uruzgan province
At a meeting with US officials, Mr Karzai demanded that coalition forces "take all necessary measures to ensure that military activities to capture terrorist groups do not harm Afghan civilians".

Afghan Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah told reporters: "This situation has to come to an end. Mistakes can take place, human errors are possible, but our people should be assured that every measure was taken to avoid such incidents.

"There is no explanation that in a country where people have suffered so much under al-Qaeda and the Taleban, they continue to suffer as the result of the campaign against al-Qaeda."

But he said the coalition operation against remaining al-Qaeda and Taleban forces in the country had to continue.

US denial

The US military has denied reports that it attacked the wedding party after mistaking celebratory gunfire for an anti-aircraft fire.

An AC-130 gunship
A US gunship is thought to have fired on villagers
US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has urged caution until results from that investigations are known.

"It's really a mistake for us to make judgments about what took place when we know we don't know," he said.

The Pentagon said other villages had also been hit during a two-day campaign against fighters al-Qaeda and Taleban fighters.

A spokesman said a stray bomb from a B-52 aircraft - which had initially been blamed for the wedding deaths - had in fact landed in an unpopulated area.

The BBC's Kate Clark in Kabul says that last year Afghans were willing to take sacrifices if it meant the defeat of the Taleban.

But now, she adds, the coalition is just mopping up the scattered remains of the old regime and civilian losses are leaving Afghans perplexed and angry.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Stephen Sackur
"The Americans say they simply don't know what happened"
Eyewitness Abdul Saboor
"There are no al-Qaeda or Taleban here"
Afghan government official Josef Noristani
"We hope this is not repeated in the future"

Key stories

European probe

Background

IN DEPTH
See also:

02 Jul 02 | South Asia
02 Jul 02 | South Asia
12 Feb 02 | South Asia
06 Feb 02 | South Asia
23 Dec 01 | South Asia
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes