BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 2 July, 2002, 17:11 GMT 18:11 UK
British forces may return to Afghanistan

The British Defence Secretary, Geoff Hoon, says British troops will return to Afghanistan if they are needed.

Mr Hoon, who's been on a one-day visit to the Afghan capital, Kabul, says Britain's support for international military operations in Afghanistan is steadfast.

He announced last month that Britain would withdraw more than half of its four- thousand troops currently in Afghanistan.

British troops are serving as part of the international peacekeeping force in Afghanistan and British commandos are helping in the search for remnants of Al-Qaeda and Taleban forces.

Mr Hoon says the withdrawal of British troops does not lessen the United Kingdom's commitment to these operations. During his visit, Mr Hoon held talks with the Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Defence Minister Mohammed Fahim and UN special envoy to Afghanistan, Lahkdar Brahimi.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes