Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 5, 1998 Published at 15:11 GMT


World: Americas

Woodward's bid to profit challenged

Louise has asked for permission to sell her story

The parents of Matthew Eappen - the baby killed by Louise Woodward in 1997 - have challenged a renewed bid by the British au pair to sell her story.

Deborah and Sunil Eappen, whose son died of "shaken baby syndrome", have asked US District Court Judge William Young to bar Woodward's request to reverse an earlier ruling that she could not profit from her story.


The BBC's Alan Grady forecasts another bitter courtroom battle for Louise Woodward and the Eappens
Woodward requested permission to sell her story on Monday. It was unclear whether she has any deals in the works.

Judge Young had issued an earlier injunction preventing her or anyone on her behalf from making money from selling her story.

It is not yet clear whether that order is enforceable in the UK where Woodward is now living.


[ image: Louise Woodward's parents received £40,000 last year after an interview with the Daily Mail]
Louise Woodward's parents received £40,000 last year after an interview with the Daily Mail
Meanwhile, Woodward's lawyers have denied she was trying to cash in on the tragedy.

They also said she was fighting an impossible multi-million dollar claim in damages for the death of eight-month-old Matthew Eappen.

When the claim was filed by the Eappen family in July, their lawyer, Frederic Ellis, said their aim was to stop Woodward from "profiting from her story" and "driving around in a Rolls-Royce and furs".

Woodward's lawyer, Paul Barrow, criticised the statement for being "entirely misleading."

He said: "Since Louise came home she has not sought to 'profit' from her story in any way, and not one scrap of evidence has been put before the Federal Court saying anything different by the plaintiff's lawyers.

"She has simply tried to get on with her life as a student after being imprisoned."

A jury originally convicted Woodward, now 20, of second-degree murder. But this was later reduced to manslaughter.

In June, she was allowed to go back to England.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

03 Nov 98 | UK
Claim for baby's 'lost earnings'

29 Oct 98 | UK
Police to probe Woodward fund

05 Oct 98 | UK
Damages case proceeds against Woodward

19 Jun 98 | Woodward
Woodward parents sold story





In this section

From Business
Microsoft trial mediator appointed

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

From Entertainment
Taxman scoops a million

Violence greets Clinton visit

Bush outlines foreign policy

Boy held after US school shooting

Memorial for bonfire dead

Senate passes US budget

New constitution for Venezuela

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Hurricane Lenny abates

UN welcomes US paying dues

Chavez praises 'advanced' constitution

In pictures: Castro strikes out Chavez

WTO: arbitration in EU-Ecuador banana dispute

Colombian army chief says rebels defeated

Colombian president lambasts rebels