BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Friday, 5 July, 2002, 10:28 GMT 11:28 UK
Confusion over US Afghan air strikes

There have been more conflicting reports about the US air strike that's said to have killed more than 40 civilians earlier this week in central Afghan province of Uruzgan.

The local governor , Jan Mohammed, has said the bombing raids were called after US planes received misleading information.

He also demanded that the agents responsible should be handed over to the Afghan authorities.

But the Americans say their planes had been targeted by anti-aircraft fire and that suspected members of Taleban and al-Qaeda had been detained during the operation.

A joint US-Afghan team has been visiting the villages that were targeted, but officials say they haven't been able to verify the number of victims. The team is expected to present its report on Saturday.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes