Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 5, 1998 Published at 00:12 GMT


World: Europe

Explosion at Kremlin

Security officials examining the car remains

A car has exploded at the main entrance to the Russian Government complex, the Kremlin, in Moscow, injuring three guards and the driver.


Correspondent Paul Anderson: Damage was minimal
The Interior Ministry says a man drove his car across Red Square at high speed - knocking down barriers - and jumped from the vehicle moments before it exploded in front of the gates.

One of the injured guards, a soldier in the Presidential Regiment, is in a serious condition.

Officials in the Kremlin said the blast rattled windows inside the fortress.

President Boris Yeltsin was still on holiday on the Black Sea recuperating from "fatigue".

Motive unclear

The man was later identified as Ivan Orlov, a 65- year-old journalist, who worked for a nationalist magazine.

According to the Interfax news agency he was armed with a pistol.

His motives remain a mystery and officials have so far refused to confirm that it had been a deliberate bomb attack on the presidential quarters.

The police said Mr Orlov would be given a psychiatric examination, while investigations continued into whether the incident was a criminal act.

'Firework display'

Witnesses said they heard a loud explosion and saw a car in flames and belching smoke near the Kremlin's Spassky Gate around 7 pm (1600 GMT).

Shortly after the blast a plume of smoke rose in the darkness above the multicoloured onion domes of St Basil's.

"It was a real firework display," said Sergei Semyonov, adding that he had heard no gunfire before or afterwards.

Hundreds of police quickly cleared the area. The shattered, blackened car was towed away some three hours later.

Terrorist bombings, as opposed to mafia-style gang warfare, are relatively rare in Russian cities. Four people died in an unexplained bomb attack on the Moscow metro in 1996.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

27 Oct 98 | Russia crisis
Battle for the Kremlin

27 Oct 98 | Russia crisis
Analysis: The stay-at-home president

24 Aug 98 | Russia crisis
The human cost





Internet Links


Russian Government

Russia Online


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift