![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, November 4, 1998 Published at 14:50 GMT Sport: Football Real deny McManaman talks ![]() McManaman (left): Sent off in extra time Confusion has broken out about whether Real Madrid have made an official approach for Liverpool's Steve McManaman. The club's vice president, Juan Manuel Herrero, told Spanish television on Wednesday night that the European champions would be talking with the player's agent. But on Thursday, a spokeswoman for Real, denied any official approach had been made. "We have not made any official approach, and there is no news about McManaman," she said. Red card Real's technical director, Jose Martinez Pirri watched the England international in Liverpool's UEFA Cup tie with Valencia on Tuesday. McManaman scored his side's first goal in the 2-2 draw - which saw Liverpool go through on away goals. But he was sent off with Valencia defender Amadeo Carboni after the pair clashed in the closing moments. Liverpool skipper Paul Ince was also sent off in the same incident and could now face a substantial ban from European competition. Contract talks Real originally denied any interest in McManaman, although coach Guus Hiddink is known to be a fan of the midfielder. McManaman has so far failed to reach an agreement with Liverpool over an extension to his contract, which runs out at the end of June. If no new deal is struck, the player would be free to walk out on the club at the end of the season under the Bosman ruling. But, speaking in Valencia ahead of the UEFA Cup game, he denied making any contact with the Spanish club. "I'm not here to speak to anyone," said the Liverpool-born player, who has always insisted he has no intention of leaving Anfield. Meanwhile, Liverpool have issued a statement dismissing as specualation reports that joint manager Roy Evans is to resign from his post. |
Football Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||