Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, November 4, 1998 Published at 13:40 GMT


Leeds swoop for Batty and Dublin

Is David Batty on his way out of Newcastle?

Leeds United have launched a £10m bank-busting raid to bring Dion Dublin and David Batty to Elland Road.

The club is determined to back new boss David O'Leary in the transfer market by smashing the club's record fee, not once - but twice.

The club have confirmed he is now in the running for Coventry's wantaway striker Dublin, who has already turned down a £6.75m move to Blackburn.

Club chairman Peter Ridsdale said: "We made an official bid yesterday afternoon to Coventry for Dion Dublin. We are now waiting for a response from the Coventry chairman which we hope to get sometime today."

Leeds have joined Aston Villa in the hunt for the England international's signature after City chairman Bryan Richardson revealed Dublin has a clause in his contract allowing him to speak to any club who offer more than £5m.

Ridsdale faxed Coventry with his bid ahead of last night's UEFA Cup second round defeat to Italian Serie A side Roma, with Leeds believed to have offered the Highfield Road club £5.5m in an effort to overshadow Villa, who have simply matched the price required to start talks with Dublin.

The fee shatters the United club record of £4.5m spent in recruiting former Swedish international Tomas Brolin from Parma three years ago and Lee Sharpe from Manchester United in the summer of 1996.

Ironically, Brolin was an expensive flop and was released on a free transfer after two unhappy years, while Sharpe is struggling to recapture the form that earned him England honours at Old Trafford after missing the whole of last season with knee ligament damage.

But Ridsdale pledged to O'Leary that money would be made available for new signings when the 40-year-old Irishman took over the job on a permanent basis, and he is now proving as good as his word.

Ridsdale said: "We have made three offers in the last week and we are awaiting the outcome of bids for two of the three players. Certainly, they would create new club records.

"We believe that the players we are chasing would add value to the squad. They are players the manager wants and I think the fans will be excited if we get two of the three.

"I would be disappointed if one or two do not come off in the next week to 10 days."

Ridsdale has also tempted Newcastle with an apparent offer of £5m for former United midfielder Batty, despite United's reluctance to let the England international leave St James' Park.

Ridsdale is also understood to have had a £2.5m offer for Barnsley striker Ashley Ward rejected by Tykes chairman John Dennis, who has slapped a £5m fee on the head of the 27-year-old, who has scored 11 goals in his last 12 games.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


In this section

White Rose rivals meet again

Derby double swoop fails

Spurs stifle depleted Gunners

Dons destroy Leeds hopes

Campbell punishes Newcastle

Goalless as east meets west

Cole double sinks Leicester

Anfield has to wait for win

Steady Reddy saves Sunderland

Poor Villa beaten by Saints

De Bilde saves Wednesday

Bantams hold quick start Coventry

Heggem seals Anfield victory

Mighty Quinn sends Spurs crashing

Keane leads Coventry charge

Harte breaks Hammers