![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, November 5, 1998 Published at 08:43 GMT World: Middle East Israeli cabinet meets to ratify peace deal ![]() Settlers stake their claims before the proposed withdrawal The Israeli cabinet is meeting to discuss the peace deal worked out with the Palestinians last month, under which Israel agreed to undertake a further withdrawal from the West Bank.
Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has announced he is satisfied with Palestinian assurances that 12 of the 30 wanted men are under arrest, and that the others will be detained within 12 weeks.
BBC Middle East correspondent Paul Adams says the Israeli cabinet debate will be stormy, but Mr Netanyahu is expected to win support for the peace deal, which has to be ratified by parliament before it becomes law. This must be done by 12 November. During a visit to Madrid on Wednesday, Mr Arafat said his forces would make 100% effort to arrest all 30 of the Palestinians suspected of killing Israelis. 'Shameless tactics' Mr Arafat avoided criticising the latest delay referring obliquely to the long and difficult road to peace. But one of his chief negotiators, Saeb Erekat, accused Mr Netanyahu of using shameless tactics to try to wreck the agreement which should have come into force this week. Mr Erekat said: "[Netanyahu] is inventing new agreements. He does not want to honour anything." The deal has already been ratified by the Palestinians.
As part of the agreement the Israelis agreed to release 700 Palestinian prisoners which Mr Fogel said would go ahead in the future exactly as timetabled. The agreement, which was reached on 23 October in the United States and was due to get Israeli cabinet approval on 2 November, stipulates Israeli troop withdrawal in exchange for Palestinian security guarantees. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||