![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, November 4, 1998 Published at 10:07 GMT UK Footballer 'upstages' work of Diana ![]() David Ginola: Footballers are more popular than blondes Footballer David Ginola has said he is a more effective campaigner against land mines than the late Diana, Princess of Wales. The Tottenham Hotspur star has taken over the princess's role as the Red Cross's new ambassador, spearheading the charity's anti-landmines campaign.
"In Angola, if they see a blonde woman arriving, it means nothing important. But to see a footballer is really something," he was quoted as saying. Aid workers have previously admitted that when the princess visited war-devastated Angola in January last year, few people knew who she was. Morale booster By contrast, when Ginola's plane touched down last July he was mobbed in the capital Luanda. Ginola went on: "Football is an international language and is the best means of communicating this issue around the world. "You get someone like me who uses their legs to earn a living, then you see pictures of people whose legs have been blown up by landmines. These two images send a very powerful message." The 31-year-old player, whose sporting skill, good looks and commercials for hair products have made him famous in Europe and the United States, said he could never replace Diana, but would carry on her work. The princess, who helped give the anti-mine crusade worldwide publicity, died in a car crash in Paris last August. "The princess was known by the whole world, she worked hard and had a fantastic message," Ginola added. "I understand my place and know that I could never replace her but the work has to carry on. It is something that I can do and have the time to do."
|
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||