BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Sunday, 30 June, 2002, 15:20 GMT 16:20 UK
Koreas trade blame for naval clash
South Korean navy ships accompany a fishing vessel in the area where the incident occurred
The area of the battle is rich in fish
South Korea says more than 30 North Korean sailors were killed or wounded in the naval confrontation between the two sides on Saturday.

Major General Ahn Ki-Seok, of the South's Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a press briefing in Seoul that the North Koreans had been hit by sustained South Korean fire.

The North has admitted suffering "losses" but has given no further details.

South Korean troops have been on high alert since the incident in the Yellow Sea, which left at least four South Koreans dead and 19 wounded.

Seoul has demanded an apology from the Communist state, but Pyongyang described the call as "the height of impudence".

The United States has condemned North Korea's "armed provocation". Korea's neighbours - China and Japan - have also expressed their concern.

The United Nations has called for urgent talks, but the North has rejected the proposal.

Losses

"Our formation leader said he saw hundreds of rounds of ammunition flying towards a North Korean patrol boat and most of the North Korean sailors operating the ship's guns being knocked down," South Korean Major General Ahn Ki-Seok said.

South Korean Navy speedboats anchor at the Yeonpyeong Island - site of Saturday's naval confrontation
South Korea's armed forces are on full alert
"The 70mm and 40mm guns installed on our patrol vessels have high accuracy as they are computer-operated. We therefore believe the North's casualties number more than 30."

It was the most serious maritime clash between the two countries for three years and a setback to recent reconciliation efforts on the divided peninsula.

Both sides have blamed each other for starting the incident.

Recent sea incidents here
1998 June - Nine dead North Korean commandos found in South Korean waters
1998 July - Dead North Korean frogman found on South Korean coast
1998 December - South Korean navy sinks North Korean spy vessel
1999 June - 30 North Korean sailors believed killed in naval battle
On Sunday, the North said the clash was connected with the World Cup football tournament.

Seoul has vowed not to overlook the "flagrant violation of the ceasefire agreement".

However, on Sunday President Kim Dae-jung went to Japan to watch the World Cup final, saying: "I'm proud of our people. They are not disturbed by the North provocation.

Also on Sunday, the chairman of the North Korean Football Association congratulated his South Korean counterpart on the strong performance of the South's team in the football World Cup - it made the semi-finals.

Ri Kwang-gun said the success was a was a striking demonstration of what he called the tenacity of the Korean nation and should encourage Koreans from North and South, to work for reunification.

International concern

The 20-minute battle took place on the border unilaterally imposed by the United Nations after the Korean War ended in 1953 and which the North does not recognise.

It has prompted the North to renew its demand for the border to be moved further south.

US officials, supporting their allies in the South, said the incident might lead to the postponement of a planned visit to Pyongyang by a senior American official next month.

China has called on the two governments to safeguard stability on the Korean peninsula.

And Japan has sent out special air patrols to improve surveillance of the Sea of Japan and the Korean Peninsula - the patrols saw "nothing unusual".

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Caroline Gluck
"Those injured say North Korean vessels started the clash"

Nuclear tensions

Inside North Korea

Divided peninsula

TALKING POINT
See also:

30 Jun 02 | Media reports
30 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
29 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
07 May 02 | Asia-Pacific
29 Jun 02 | Media reports
30 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
30 Apr 02 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes