Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 08:30 GMT


UK

Police chase leads in nightclub killing

A police officer retraced the victim's steps

Detectives searching for the killer of 22-year-old Jenny King say they are following up a number of "active" lines of inquiry following the reconstruction of her disappearance in Bristol last week.

Now police are sifting through hundreds of statements taken from nightclubbers at the Chasers nightspot in Kingswood.

The boyfriend of murder victim Jenny King has already denied that he is the killer.

Steve Daly, 30, spoke soon after the reconstruction of her last hours that turned up important new clues.

Mr Daly said he was distraught when Miss King was strangled after leaving a Bristol nightclub last Saturday.


Paul Barltrop: Reconstruction was an eerie scene
He told the Sun: "I'm sure some people have suspected me. But it wasn't me.

"I cannot believe she has been taken away from me. We were so happy together."

Detective Chief Inspector Geoff Anderson said the reconstruction had turned up "a couple of bits of information which are quite interesting".


[ image: DCI Anderson: Public are
DCI Anderson: Public are "most co-operative"
Police set up the exercise to try to find out what happened to Miss King after she left Chasers nightclub in Regent Street, Kingswood.

A young woman from the Support Group of Avon and Somerset Police re-enancted the last known movements of the receptionist, whose battered and strangled body was found on Tuesday just yards from her home at Crane Close, Warmley.

The police officer wore similar clothes to those Miss King wore on her night out.

Parents' appeal


[ image: Jenny King: Strangled]
Jenny King: Strangled
On Thursday, Miss King's parents appealed for help to catch the "vile" killer.

Speaking at a news conference, Miss King's father Ray appealed to the public to renew their efforts in helping the police.

Mr King said his daughter's death was his "worst nightmare".

He added: "There is a very dangerous person out there who could offend again and must be caught."

Police believe the killer is a local man who knows the area.


Ray King: My worst nightmare
They are trying to trace a man and a woman who were seen walking together between the club and Miss King's home.

The man appeared to be speaking to the woman and may have been pestering her.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

03 Nov 98 | UK
Body found in hunt for missing woman

07 Nov 98 | UK
New appeal over missing woman





Internet Links


Avon and Somerset Police


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online