BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Saturday, 29 June, 2002, 08:22 GMT 09:22 UK
Restrictions on controversial parade
Minor trouble erupted at last year's march
Minor trouble erupted at last year's march
A controversial loyal order parade is due to take place in north and west Belfast on Saturday.

Members of the Protestant Orange Order are expected to march along the Shankill Road to Whiterock Orange Hall.

In its determination, the Northern Ireland Parades Commission did not impose any route restrictions on the parade.

However, it said no music must be played between the junction of Ainsworth Avenue and March Street and the junction of Springfield Parade and Springfield Road.


The commission has cause to believe that should the parade process the entirety of its notified route, there will be an adverse effect on community relations and a potential for public disorder

Parades Commission

The commission said it was conscious of its previous determinations in connection with the parade, but considering all relevant factors, felt it was "the most appropriate for this particular parade at this particular time".

It said the parade should begin and disperse promptly with only notified bands taking part.

The commission said the major annual parade had attracted controversy in recent years as the notified route included an interface area.

Minor incidents

It said there had been sectarian tension and division in the area over recent years and it recognised that there continued to be a strain on community relations.

"The commission has cause to believe that should the parade process the entirety of its notified route, there will be an adverse effect on community relations and a potential for public disorder," it said.

Last year, there were minor incidents following the parade.

Minor scuffles took place ahead of the loyalist march when police in riot gear clashed with nationalist residents opposed to the parade.

Two years ago, there was controversy when a loyalist paramilitary colour party joined the parade on two occasions.

'Make decisions'

Meanwhile, the intense security surrounding Northern Ireland's most controversial loyal order parade should be scaled down, according to a leading police officer.

Assistant Chief Constable Stephen White, who is in charge of policing the annual Drumcree march, said the move may help ease tensions.

PSNI ACC Stephen White
ACC Stephen White: "No stomach or desire for violence"
The Drumcree dispute centres on the Protestant Orange Order's desire to walk along the mainly nationalist Garvaghy Road, near Portadown in County Armagh - a route opposed by many nationalist residents.

The Parades Commission has barred the Order from marching down the road for the last four years.

The Northern Ireland Parades Commission was set up in 1997 to make decisions on whether controversial parades should be restricted.

See also:

27 Jun 02 | N Ireland
01 Jul 01 | N Ireland
25 May 02 | N Ireland
08 Jul 00 | N Ireland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes