![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, November 4, 1998 Published at 00:27 GMT UK Politics Davies defendant: 'I did not talk to press' ![]() The robbery led Ron Davies to quit the cabinet The man charged with robbing former Welsh Secretary Ron Davies has insisted he has not spoken to the press about the case. But he will give a "full account at the appropriate time". Donald Fearon, who was remanded in custody at the weekend charged with stealing Mr Davies' car and its contents, issued the denial through his solicitors. The statement through Cremin Small & Co on behalf of 38-year-old Mr Fearon said: "[Mr Fearon] has not previously made contact with any members of the press or media concerning the allegations against him. "He has not consented to or authorised anyone to give any account to the press or media." Mr Fearon is one of six people arrested for the robbery that led to Ron Davies' resignation from the cabinet last week. The former minister confessed to an as yet unspecified "error of judgement", but refused to go into detail.
The former Welsh secretary, who has also since given up his post of leader of the Welsh Labour party, told police he was robbed in his own car by three people. He described the incident as a "moment of madness" but ruled out any suggestions of drugs or homosexual contact. The statement from Mr Fearon's solicitors was issued tabloid newspapers reported new allegations of Mr Davies' activities on the night of the incident. The solicitors' statement said: "Concerning a number of reports already published and any further articles or stories that might appear, [Mr Fearon] would like to make it clear that such accounts have not come from him. "He denied the allegations against him when questioned by the police and continues to deny the allegations. "He will give his full account, but will do so at the appropriate time." Earlier on Tuesday the Metropolitan Police announced the sixth arrest in the case. The other four people previously arrested in connection with the case remain free on bail. Mr Fearon, unemployed and of no fixed address, is due to appear in court again on 16 November. |
UK Politics Contents |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||