Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, November 3, 1998 Published at 16:04 GMT


World: Africa

Moi condemns 'uninvited troops' in Congo

President Moi is the latest of many regional leaders to be drawn into the conflict

President Daniel Arap Moi has called for the immediate withdrawal of what he described as uninvited foreign troops from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

President Moi said that the problems of Congo could not be solved through killing. All uninvited foreign troops in Congo should withdraw immediately, he said.

The Kinshasa government has accused Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi of fighting alongside rebel forces. For his part, President Laurent Kabila has invited troops from Zimbabwe, Angola, Namibia and Chad to help his forces.

At a meeting last month, President Arap Moi and the presidents of Tanzania and Uganda called for an international peacekeeping force to be deployed in Congo, and for the withdrawal of all foreign forces.

A senior US envoy, Susan Rice, is currently taking part of a seven-nation African tour aimed at ending hostilities in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Ms Rice has already visited Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Zambia and Zimbabwe, but correspondents say little progress had been made.

On Tuesday she was kept waiting for several hours for a meeting with Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe, who was apparently chairing a cabinet meeting.

During her three-day visit to Angola last week, Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos cancelled his meeting with her, saying he had to call a cabinet meeting at the same time.

No solution in sight

Most of the countries of southern and eastern Africa have now been drawn into efforts to solve the Congo crisis either by diplomatic or by military means - so far without any significant success.

At the end of last month, President Kabila and his allies, the leaders of Zimbabwe and Namibia, announced an offensive "to clear the enemy" from Congolese territory.

The latest attempt to forge a cease-fire agreement failed at a two-day summit last month in the Zambian capital, Lusaka, when Congolese rebels were excluded from the meeting.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

31 Oct 98 | Africa
Zimbabwe police break up protest

21 Oct 98 | Africa
Taking the war to the rebels

10 Aug 98 | Africa
The Congo Conflict: Q&A

20 Aug 98 | Africa
Africa's regional interests in Congo





Internet Links


Southern African Development Community

Democratic Republic of Congo Government

Zimbabwe Government


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief