BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 27 June, 2002, 13:48 GMT 14:48 UK
Gun threat boy spared custody
A teenager who threatened a police officer with a replica handgun has escaped a custodial sentence a judge said he deserved.

The 13-year-old admitted a charge of armed robbery at a charity shop and possession of an imitation firearm with intent to resist arrest, at Exeter Crown Court.

On Thursday Judge John Neligan said the offences merited a custodial sentence but the court's hands were tied because the boy is aged under 15.

Prosecutor Mary McCarthy told the court the boy snatched £140 from the till of a charity shop in Ashburton, Devon, after threatening the lone female assistant with a knife.

Terrifying ordeal

The boy had been in care at the time of the offence and the court was told the police were notified when he failed to return to his care home.

Ms McCarthy said the following day, he was spotted drunk at a railway station in Exeter by PC Michael Laybourne.

The officer approached him and was threatened by what he assumed was a real pistol.

He managed to disarm the boy and it turned out to be a replica Mauser pistol.

'Deeply sorry'

Judge Neligan praised the officer for his courage and told the teenager that his charity shop victim was "terrified by her ordeal, and still suffers nightmares".

"Immediate custody is appropriate in this case but the court is restricted on imposing custodial sentences on people of your age."

Paul Bitmead, defending, said the boy, who was abandoned by his parents, was "deeply sorry for what he did".

The boy was made the subject of a three-year supervision order.


Click here to go to Devon
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes