BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Thursday, 27 June, 2002, 06:26 GMT 07:26 UK
'Massacre' jury sent home
Mandy Power with her daughters and her elderly mother in background
Three generations of the family died in the attack
The jury in the Clydach murder trial jury has been sent home after failing to reach a verdict on the second day of deliberations.

The jurors have been told to return to Swansea Crown Court on Friday to continue considering the evidence presented to them during the two-month case.

David Morris
Mr Morris denies all the charges

David Morris, 40, denies killing three generations of the same family at a house in the Swansea Valley on 27 June 1999.

Mr Justice Butterfield completed his third day of summing up on Wednesday and gave final points of direction to the jurors before sending them away at lunchtime to begin deliberations.

He told the group of 11 members - one was discharged after suffering a stroke - that they should use "common sense and knowledge of the world" in arriving at their decision.

"There is no pressure on you as far as time is concerned; take as long as you want," he said.

Mandy Power, 34; her daughters Katie, 10; and Emily, eight; and her mother Doris Dawson, 80, all died in what has been described by the prosecution as a "massacre".

Alison Lewis
The prosecution alleged Alison Lewis was responsible
Mr Morris, of nearby Craig Cefn Parc denies the murder charges in the case which began at the court in April.

Mr Butterfield reviewed the arguments the jury had heard over the past 11 weeks.

"The events of that night have left marks which are deep and, perhaps, indelible on the lives of many," he said.

"The prosecution say that the man responsible for these killings was David Morris.

'Sexual desire'

"He, they say, possessed a sexual desire for Mandy Power and, on an evening when he was angry and rejected by his partner, fuelled with amphetamines and alcohol, he went to her home and pressed these desires."

It was the defence case that whoever the killer was it was "certainly not David Morris", the judge continued.

Mandy Power's family home
The house was set alight after the attacks
"The defence has asserted who the killer was, and they suggest that the police got it right in 2000 when they arrested Alison Lewis."

During his speech, Mr Butterfield graphically described the murder scene, saying the upstairs of the house was "awash with blood."

"You would need a heart of stone not to be deeply affected by the photographs of the injuries," he said.

He also asked the jury to consider whether former suspect Alison Lewis would have been able to carry out the killings.

He reminded the jury she had left the police after being unable to cope with dealing with a suicide.

Mr Butterfield invited them to consider all the evidence presented to them, but also said they should "view with caution" evidence about a gold chain found at the scene of the crime.

Earlier in the week he said they might feel "anger and outrage" at the brutality of the murders, but told them there was no place for "emotion or prejudice."


Latest news

Prosecution

Defence

Background

AUDIO VIDEO

LINKS

Where I Live, South West Wales
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes