![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, November 3, 1998 Published at 19:27 GMT Sport: Cricket Batting stars stage tour strike ![]() Brian Lara batting during the Wills Cup tournament in Dhaka The West Indies have been thrown into turmoil ahead of their South African tour with skipper Brian Lara and Carl Hooper refusing to travel with the team. Lara and Hooper are key figures in the batting line-up, but are unhappy about the fees on offer for the trip.
The Board claims fees for the tour had been agreed with the West Indies Players Association and president Pat Rousseau said the action of the two players "was therefore particularly surprising". Lara has been in dispute with the Board before, having been fined or warned four times in the past for breaching disciplinary codes.
The United Cricket Board of South Africa remains confident the tour, which features five Tests and seven one-day internationals, will go ahead as scheduled. Chief executive Ali Bacher said: "Obviously we would like to have Brian Lara lead the West Indies on their tour, but even if he doesn't come, they have an exciting team full of talented players." The two sides have met only once before in a Test with the West Indies winning at Barbados in 1992 - South Africa's first Test after being re-admitted to international cricket. West Indies squad: BC Lara, JC Adams, CEL Ambrose, S Chanderpaul, M Dillon, D Ganga, CL Hooper, RD Jacobs, CB Lambert, NAM McLean, JR Murray, D Ramnarine, FA Rose, PA Wallace, CA Walsh, SC Williams. |
Cricket Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||