![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, November 3, 1998 Published at 10:11 GMT
Orangemen defiant over Portadown ![]() Tensions reached a peak last July A group of loyalists in Northern Ireland are resisting demands for them to abandon their four-month protest over the right to march through Portadown. Harold Gracey, District Master of the Orange Order in the Co Armagh town, received a standing ovation from members when he said they would stay at Drumcree until the fight to walk down the nationalist Garvaghy Road was won.
"Sadly there are those from within and without who say we should walk away from this hill. I can tell you I have no intention of walking away from it," Mr Gracey told a meeting in Craigavon civic centre on Monday night. More than 500 Orangemen and women rose to their feet cheering when he issued his defiant message. 'No compromise' Last week, the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh, Dr Robin Eames, called for a compromise from both sides. But the Orangemen's spokesman, David Jones, said the order had made enough compromises and that any further compromise must come from the Garvaghy Road Residents Coalition, which opposes the march. "Once we can get the parade down the road then we can move to parades of the future and hopefully come to a resolution that will satisfy both sides," said Mr Jones. In July, violence and tension between the two sides reached a peak with the deaths of three children in an arson attack by loyalists in Ballymoney in County Antrim. And last month the Orange Order was widely condemned for staging a demonstration at Ballymoney against the wishes of the victims' family.
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||