| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 26 June, 2002, 07:00 GMT 08:00 UK
Kidney death doctors face probe
Surgeon John Roberts had always denied the charge
The General Medical Council will probe two surgeons cleared of manslaughter after removing the wrong kidney from a patient who later died.
War veteran Graham Reeves, 70, died five weeks after the botched kidney operation at Llanelli's Prince Philip Hospital. But consultant urologist John Roberts, 60, and Dr Mahesh Goel, 40, walked free after a key prosecution witness said he "could not be sure" their surgery had caused his death.
But calls for a public inquiry also surfaced after Tuesday's court drama, which surprised Mr Reeves' friends and neighbours. So the surgeons' professional future is unclear despite their legal victory. Mr Roberts of Ty Coch, Swansea, remains suspended from his post while Mr Goel of Burnley, Lancashire, no longer works for Llanelli's Carmarthenshire NHS Trust.
During the Cardiff Crown Court trial, the jury heard Mr Roberts had been "devastated" by his realisation of the blunder. He carried out a second operation on Mr Reeves despite contrary directions from the trust's director, it was said.
Both denied the charge and the court also heard Mr Reeves was not visited by nurses prior to surgery due to a staff shortage at Prince Philip Hospital. But the jury was ordered to return not guilty verdicts when prosecution witness and Home Office pathologist Dr Andrew Davison said he could not be certain that surgery caused the death. Earlier in the day, he had said it was "probable" the botched operation played a "more than minimal" part in causing the death. Carmarthenshire NHS Trust extended sympathy to Mr Reeves' loved ones and pointed out two independent audits validated hospital procedures in place during the operation. Nursing staff had acted properly and safety guidelines have been strengthened further, it added.
Burry Port and Pembrey Mayor Pat Jones said: "The only solution to restore public faith is to have a public inquiry so that everyone can be squeaky clean and we have done everything we possibly can to prevent this from ever happening again." Mr Roberts said in a statement through a solicitor: "It is impossible to turn back the clock. "But perhaps something positive may come from this tragedy if the publicity attached to it allows other across the country to learn similar lessons for the future."
Llanelli's Welsh Assembly member Helen Mary Jones sought to reassure people many procedures at the town's hospital had changed.
|
See also:
25 Jun 02 | Wales
25 Jun 02 | Wales
24 Jun 02 | Wales
20 Jun 02 | Wales
20 Jun 02 | Wales
19 Jun 02 | Wales
17 Jun 02 | Wales
13 Jun 02 | Wales
12 Jun 02 | Wales
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |