BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Wales  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 25 June, 2002, 17:11 GMT 18:11 UK
Father calls off hunger strike
Stan Bowen outside the assembly
Stan Bowen spent the night outside the Welsh Assembly
A father who spent the night on hunger strike outside the Welsh Assembly in a row over his son's medical treatment has ended his protest.

Stan Bowen, 67, from Swansea, south Wales, called off his vigil following a meeting with Swansea NHS Trust staff on Tuesday afternoon, in which he was assured that his complaints would be dealt with.

Peter Bowen in hospital
Peter Bowen has been in a coma for two years

He launched his protest on Monday to highlight decision to cancel a vital operation on his son, 38-year-old Peter.

Peter has been in a coma for two years since being attacked in Swansea.

But two appointments to assess surgery to improve his quality of life have been cancelled due to a lack of funds.

Supported by his wife Margaret and his family, Mr Bowen vowed to camp outside the assembly until he gets a satisfactory response.

And, speaking to BBC Wales on Tuesday, he had pledged to continue his protest indefinitely.

Mr Stan Bowen
Mr Bowen: Will stay until someone listens

"I will stay as long as it takes," he said. "I've only got one son."

Mr Bowen's protest was directed at the Swansea NHS Trust. His hope was to secure an operation for Peter which will involve inserting a pump to deliver medication directly to his spine.

The pump implantation programme - also used to treat victims of strokes, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson's disease - had been suspended because the trust did not have the money for the regular monitoring which follows the operations.

A statement from Assembly Health Minister Jane Hutt released on Monday said she was "concerned to hear about this distressing case" and that she had "great sympathy for the Bowens".

Better care

She said it was an issue for the trust and the health authority to deal with, and had asked them to contact the family immediately.

The Bowens currently drive100 miles to see Peter at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Disease in Bath every Sunday, but staff there think he could be better cared for in Wales.

"He has been here nearly two years, and the bulk of the time we have not been providing active treatment," said consultant Dr Tony Clarke.

"This is at a cost of nearly £500 a day, and where he should be back in Wales having proper treatment or proper care in a long-term facility that would enable friends and relatives to visit."

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Wales's Sian Lloyd
"He planned his protest like a military operation"

Where I Live, South West Wales
See also:

25 Jun 02 | Wales
27 May 02 | Wales
24 May 02 | Health
18 Feb 02 | NHS Reform
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes