BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 25 June, 2002, 17:54 GMT 18:54 UK
MP could be called as riot witness
Riot police in Oldham
The men deny taking part in the Oldham riots in 2001
Labour MP Michael Meacher could be called as a witness in the trial of two men accused of taking part in the Oldham riots in 2001, a jury has heard.

On Tuesday, Noor Miah, 21, and 43-year-old Faruq Harun went on trial charged in connection with the disturbances.

Rioting continued over three nights in the Greater Manchester town in May last year.

Mr Harun, of Tilbury Street, Coldhurst, may call Oldham West and Royton MP Mr Meacher as a defence witness, Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court was told.


It is our case, on behalf of the prosecution, that these two defendants were part of that riot.

Mukhtar Hussain, prosecuting

Mr Harun and Mr Miah, of Clarkwell Close in Westwood, Oldham, both deny one count of rioting.

Mr Harun also denies one charge of throwing a petrol bomb and an alternative charge of possessing a petrol bomb.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Mukhtar Hussain, QC, told the court both men were involved in rioting in the Westwood area of Oldham on 27 May last year.

The jury was shown police video and television news footage showing groups of youths building burning barricades and throwing bricks and petrol bombs at police officers.

Mr Hussain said Mr Harun and another unidentified man were caught on camera preparing and throwing a petrol bomb at shielded police officers.

"It is our case, on behalf of the prosecution, that these two defendants were part of that riot," Mr Hussain said.

The trial continues.


Click here to go to Manchester
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes