Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, November 2, 1998 Published at 19:33 GMT


Sport: Rugby Union

RFU face disciplinary panel

The RFU face disciplinary action but are unlikely to get expelled

The Rugby Football Union are being hauled before a unique international disciplinary panel in Dublin next month to answer the charge they concealed information regarding the Premiership clubs' application to the European Commission.

England's case will be judged by a five-nation panel comprising New Zealand, Japan, Argentina, South Africa and Ireland, who have the powers to expel England from the board.

However, IRB chairman Vernon Pugh said: "I don't think they will be expelled.

"The clubs' issue is very difficult. We want a strong club structure, but the international game must be protected."

Last spring the English clubs submitted an application to Brussels requesting clarification about player release for Tests and a ruling on broadcasting rights.

At the time it appeared that the owner clubs would refuse release of Test players, but since then the RFU and clubs have signed the Mayfair Agreement that guarantees the release of Test players.

However, the Brussels application is still to be considered and when the IRB requested a response by the RFU it was not forthcoming.

Pugh said: "It is disappointing that there has not been co-operation. The IRB are concerned that there is a challenge to the regulations that we have in place to govern the world-wide game."

Twickenham officials confirmed that they would contest any charge.

A brief statement read: "The RFU do not believe that there are material grounds to answer and we will vigorously defend our position."

It is understood that a preliminary meeting has already been held between lawyers representing the IRB and the RFU, but that this was inconclusive.

Lions tours safe

The British Lions are safe until well into the next century after the IRB agreed a 15-year schedule of Test tours.


[ image: John Bentley celebrates victory in South AFrica]
John Bentley celebrates victory in South AFrica
Despite recent gripping series in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, there had been suggestions that the Lions would tour less frequently or even be disbanded.

But the IB stated on Monday: "The British and Irish Lions will tour South Africa, New Zealand and Australia every four years, playing three Tests on each tour.

"The Lions will tour two years after a World Cup."

Pugh said: "The detailed arrangements of Lions tours are a matter for the home unions, but we believe that there will be no mixed tours.

The Lions are expected to visit only one country on each tour."

The home unions have been warned, though, to avoid a repetition of last summer's weak-team fiasco when England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales sent under-strength sides to the southern hemisphere.

They were remorselessly hammered by record margins, and chairman Pugh said: "If the host union regards the tourists' selection as sub-standard they will have the right to cancel the tour."



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


Rugby Union Contents

In this section

Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

European Cup starts with a bang

Cooke blasts RFU 'puppets'

The wizards of Oz

Aussies given Jones-Hughes ultimatum

Woodward stays in England role

Skrela steps down as French coach

Gloucester face west-country clash

Gloucester stun expectant Sarries

Countdown to Europe

Lomu staying with All Blacks

Bath embarrass Newcastle

Quins scrape late win

All-whites fall to Jenkins points haul

Same old problem for Joost

Wasps reject Saracens bid

Rugby chiefs opt for fresh start

Wage cap threatens Lomu signing

Horan invited back to Cardiff

Aussies crowned world champions

Sarries swat Wasps to go top

Rugby World Cup: Must try harder

Quins steal Irish thunder

Horan named top World Cup player

Bedford go down fighting