Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, November 2, 1998 Published at 15:02 GMT


World: Middle East

Iran ends huge border exercises

Manoeuvres were postponed during UN mediation

Large-scale military exercises near Iran's border with Afghanistan have ended, according to an Iranian army commander.

He said 200,000 troops, backed up by tanks and aircraft, had been involved in "a fruitful and positive operation".


Simon Bowden: "Up to 200,000 troops could be involved"
It was one of the biggest exercises ever held in the country, although some sources put the figures much lower.

During the manoeuvres, military units launched nocturnal assaults on mock enemy targets across more than 50,000 square kilometres in the Zabol region in the south-east of the country.

The Iranian news agency said the operation was conducted under the light of flares and with the support of artillery, mortar and missile units.


[ image: The diplomats' bodies were returned to Iran for burial]
The diplomats' bodies were returned to Iran for burial
The exercises were announced in September as tension rose sharply following the killing of nine Iranian diplomats by Afghan Taleban troops as they seized the northern Afghan city of Mazar-i-Sharif from Iranian-supported opposition forces in August.

Iran sent thousands of troops to the border and started low level manoeuvres - it said the exercises were meant to deter smuggling and border aggression.

The final key phase of the operation was postponed until early on Monday while Iran awaited the outcome of United Nations mediation over differences with the Taleban.

The BBC Kabul Correspondent, William Reeve, says the UN special envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi succeeded in averting open war between the two countries.


[ image: The Taleban also stepped up their border presence]
The Taleban also stepped up their border presence
The Taleban have freed most of the Iranian prisoners they held in Afghanistan and agreed to meet the Iranian authorities face-to-face.

Iran still insists that the killers of its citizens be punished and that the Taleban abide by UN resolutions calling for broader government in Afghanistan.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch says Taleban forces killed 2,000 civilians in Mazar-i-Sharif, and has called for a speedy investigation by the UN.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

31 Oct 98 | South Asia
Taleban 'massacred 2,000'

29 Oct 98 | South Asia
Afghan POWs set for release

19 Oct 98 | Middle East
'Iran-Taleban tensions ease'

01 Oct 98 | South Asia
Iran stages war games on Afghan border

27 Sep 98 | South Asia
Taleban troops to Iranian border

10 Sep 98 | South Asia
Taleban confirms Iranian diplomats dead

02 Nov 98 | South Asia
Analysis: Who are the Taleban?





Internet Links


Netiran: Iranian official site

Iran's Islamic Republic News Agency

Taleban

Former Afghanistan Government


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform