BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Sunday, 23 June, 2002, 14:40 GMT 15:40 UK
Concerns for Martin's safety
Tony Martin
Martin could be freed in September
A senior detective has visited the jailed Norfolk farmer Tony Martin amid concerns for his safety if he is freed on parole.

The 57-year-old was given a life sentence in April 2000 for the murder of 16-year-old burglar Fred Barras the previous August.

His sentence was later reduced on appeal to five years.

Police are worried he could be subjected to attacks or intimidation if he is freed on parole in September.

Martin's farmhouse
Martin lived in a ramshackle farmhouse
A police spokesman said it was no secret there were concerns for Martin's safety - his trial was told that death threats had been made against him.

"We have visited Mr Martin in prison to discuss various matters.

"We will continue to monitor the situation and do what we can to help."

Friends of Martin are also worried about what could happen if he returns to his isolated Norfolk home in Emneth Hungate.

Malcolm Starr, a friend of Martin who was active in the campaign for the farmer's release, said: "At the moment it's not clear what Tony will do when he comes out of prison.

"He seems in a fairly positive mood and is busy replying to some of the thousands of letters of support he has received while in prison.

"I know the police did visit him earlier this month. My understanding is they wanted to discuss what they could do to help when he is released."

Martin's conviction was downgraded to manslaughter by the Court of Appeal last year after judges heard new evidence about his mental condition.

Fred Barras from Nottingham was killed, and his teenage accomplice, Brendan Fearon, wounded by Martin who was armed with a shotgun.


Click here to go to BBC Norfolk Online

Click here to go to BBC Nottingham Online
News and background on Tony Martin's appeal

Key stories

Background
See also:

21 Jan 02 | England
16 Oct 01 | England
30 Oct 01 | England
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes