BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Sunday, 23 June, 2002, 14:00 GMT 15:00 UK
Safety review follows rally deaths
Rally officials at the second stage of the Donegal International Rally
Local people said conditions were slippery
The governing body for rally driving in Ireland has said it will review its safety plans following the death of two marshalls at the Donegal International Rally.

Gerard McKenna, from Crossmaglen in County Armagh and George Clarke from Moville in County Donegal died after a car left the road during the event on Friday.

Both men were 22-years-old.

Members of the Motorsport Commission discussed the accident and its implications on this year's rally season at a meeting on Sunday.

Speaking afterwards, the commission said an agreed safety plan was in place for the rally.

Injuries

The accident happened when the car left the road and struck a crowd of spectators at Cloghan, six miles from Ballybofey.

Two other people injured in the accident are still being treated in hospital in Letterkenny.

One is in intensive care but has been described as stable. The second is in a comfortable condition.

The vehicle involved in the collision was taken to Letterkenny Garda Station for examination.

Spectators said there had been a few heavy showers and conditions were slippery.

They were horrified at the loss of life.

The international rally is one of the biggest events in the Donegal sporting calendar, drawing thousands of spectators.

Rally organizers said the event had always had, over 30 years, a good safety record.

The event was cancelled last year due to foot-and-mouth and as a mark of respect to those killed and injured, the remaining stages of this year's rally has also been cancelled.

See also:

22 Jun 02 | N Ireland
21 Jun 02 | N Ireland
21 Jun 02 | N Ireland
19 Aug 01 | N Ireland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes