BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Urdu Hindi Pashto Bengali Tamil Nepali Sinhala
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: South Asia  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Sunday, 23 June, 2002, 13:30 GMT 14:30 UK
Pakistan 'identifies' Karachi bombers
US investigators at the bomb site
Authorities say foreigners could still be attacked
Pakistani authorities say they have identified the group that carried out a deadly car bombing in Karachi on 14 June.


We have identified the gang behind the blast but I don't want to name the gang at this stage

Interior Minister Moinuddin Haider
Interior Minister Moinuddin Haider declined to name the group, but told reporters an announcement would be made in the next few days.

Pakistani investigators are working with the US Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) to track down those behind the bombing outside the US consulate, which killed 12 Pakistanis and injured 40 others.

Police say some suspects have been detained for questioning, but no arrests have been made.

Mr Haider also warned that attacks against foreigners were still possible "until the last man we suspect of being involved in such terrorist activities has been arrested".

New leads

Mr Haider said "some links" had been established between the Karachi bomb and the blast outside a hotel in Karachi in May that killed 11 French nationals and three other people, including the bomber.

Security officials at the Karachi bomb site
The hunt for clues continues

More than two dozen US investigators are said to have joined their Pakistani counterparts in the hunt for clues around the Karachi consulate.

The FBI wrapped up its investigation of the site late last week.

"We have identified the gang behind the blast but I don't want to name the gang at this stage," Mr Haider was quoted by the AFP news agency as saying.

Investigators are now focusing on a Suzuki pick-up vehicle that was destroyed in the blast, AFP reports.

Mr Haider said they had ruled out the possibility that it was a remotely-detonated bomb placed in a car belonging to a nearby driving school, driven by an unsuspecting instructor.

Back to work

The consulate reopened just over a week ago.

US investigators at the bomb site
Investigations are focusing on a pick-up truck

A spokesman said consulate staff were resuming normal operations, but only US citizens would be allowed into the building for the time being.

All US missions in Pakistan were closed after the attack, but the US reopened its embassy in Islamabad and consulates in Lahore and Peshawar.

Pakistani authorities have further tightened security around foreign missions, with paramilitary Rangers taking over guard duties at those considered at particular risk.

Musharraf's Pakistan

Democracy challenge

Militant threat

Background

TALKING POINT

FROM THE ARCHIVES

BBC WORLD SERVICE
See also:

18 Jun 02 | South Asia
15 Jun 02 | South Asia
14 Jun 02 | South Asia
14 Jun 02 | South Asia
06 Jun 02 | South Asia
02 May 02 | Country profiles
13 Jan 02 | South Asia
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes