BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Chinese Vietnamese Burmese Thai Indonesian
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Asia-Pacific  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Sunday, 23 June, 2002, 10:58 GMT 11:58 UK
China to let North Koreans go
Chinese police outside the Canadian embassy
Beijing has increased security outside embassies
China says it will allow 23 North Koreans sheltering at South Korean missions in Beijing to leave the country.

The condition for their departure is that they "have not committed crime in China," said foreign ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao, quoted by the official Xinhua news agency.

China will verify their identities before allowing them to leave, Mr Liu said.

Relations between Beijing and Seoul have been severely tested by the increasing number of North Koreans trying to gain asylum by entering foreign embassies in China.

The Xinhua report did not mention a North Korean man held by police after being dragged out of the office by Chinese guards.

The incident triggered a protest from South Korea.

The man's 15-year-old son is among those still inside.

Change of heart

In another development, two North Korean men who entered the Canadian embassy in Beijing earlier this month seeking asylum left China on Sunday, an embassy spokeswoman said.

Scuffle at South Korean embassy in Beijing
Chinese police made an arrest inside the consulate
The first North Koreans entered the South Korean consulate on 23 May and China, which has an agreement with communist North Korea to return defectors, had insisted they be handed over to its custody.

The Chinese foreign ministry spokesman said South Korea "fully understood and accepted" China's demand that diplomatic missions not be used as a channel for illegal immigration.

His announcement followed talks on the issue between Chinese Foreign Minister Tang Jiaxuan and his South Korean counterpart Choi Sung-hong in Thailand.

'Humanitarian spirit'

On Friday, China said a pregnant woman among the group of North Koreans might be allowed to leave.

China will deal with the asylum seekers "in accordance with relevant international and domestic laws and in a humanitarian spirit," Mr Liu was quoted saying.

Most of the group managed to enter the South Korean visa office despite extra security measures, but two women also entered the heavily guarded main South Korean Embassy compound on Friday night.


Nuclear tensions

Inside North Korea

Divided peninsula

TALKING POINT
See also:

20 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
14 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
11 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
10 Jun 02 | Asia-Pacific
28 May 02 | Asia-Pacific
25 May 02 | Asia-Pacific
18 May 02 | From Our Own Correspondent
13 May 02 | Asia-Pacific
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes