![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, November 2, 1998 Published at 07:15 GMT World: Europe Turkey's kamikaze killers foiled ![]() Prince Andrew attended the celebrations last week Turkish security officials have said they thwarted a plan by a radical Islamic group to attack Turkey's top leaders and visiting dignitaries during the country's 75th anniversary celebrations last week. The event was being attended by Turkish President Suleyman Demirel and Prime Minister Mesut Yilmaz, and also Prince Andrew, the Duke of York and Israeli President Ezer Weizman. According to the semi-official Anatolia news agency, four members of a suicide squad planned to crash a plane loaded with explosives while the ceremony was taking place. The agency said the kamikaze squad were arrested during a trial run using a private plane.
A total of 24 members of the group have been arrested, and guns, dynamite, and gas bottles recovered, the agency said. They are alleged to be linked to a radical Islamic group, known as the Anatolian Federated Islamic State (Afid). Afid is an illegal organisation based in Germany, aiming to set up a state based on Sharia principles. Last year Turkey's first Muslim-led government was forced out of power, with support from the pro-secular army. Hijack marred celebrations The anniversary celebrations were marred by an unconnected event - the hijack of a Turkish airliner which was seized on an internal flight on the same day. Nearly 40 passengers and crew on board were released unharmed after the plane had spent several hours on the ground at Ankara airport. The government said the hijacker - thought to be a Kurdish militant - was shot dead during the operation. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||