Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, November 2, 1998 Published at 04:21 GMT


World: Africa

Deal ends Guinea-Bissau conflict

Fighting has forced thousands to flee their homes

The warring parties in the West African state of Guinea-Bissau have reached agreement to end their five-month civil war.

The accord was signed by President Vieira and the rebel leader, Ansumane Mane after three days of talks in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.

Under the deal

  • a government of national unity will be formed, including representatives of the rebels
  • all foreign troops will be withdrawn and replaced by a West African (ECOMOG) peacekeeping force.
  • air and sea ports will be opened to allow in humanitarian relief
  • presidential elections to be held by the end of March next year


Jobe - two sides forced to agree because of gravity of situation
The Gambian foreign minister, Sedat Jobe, who has been mediating between the two sides, told the BBC he was confident that the agreement would hold, despite the failure of previous cease-fire agreements.

The breakthrough came at negotiations at the mansion of Nigeria's military leader, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, after a two-day summit of African leaders in Abuja had failed to produce an accord.

There had been pessimism among some officials. One said it looked as if the Bissau issue would ultimately be decided "on the battlefield".

President accused of corruption


[ image: President Vieira agreed to fresh elections]
President Vieira agreed to fresh elections
The conflict in the former Portuguese colony began on 7 June when a breakaway faction of disgruntled military veterans seized the main army garrison and international airport in the capital, Bissau.

The rebels accused President Vieira of corruption and demanded that he step down.

Although neighbouring Senegal and Republic of Guinea sent troops to his aid, the insurgents have overrun most of the small country.

About half of the country's one million people have been displaced by the fighting. There are no reliable figures for the numbers of people killed and wounded.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

22 Oct 98 | Africa
Behind the Guinea-Bissau conflict

23 Oct 98 | Africa
Guinea-Bissau faces 'severe food shortage'

22 Oct 98 | Africa
Guinea-Bissau president calls cease-fire





Internet Links


An MBendi Profile: Ecowas

Ecowas and the Subregional Peacekeeping in Liberia

CIA World Fact Book: Guinea Bissau


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief