Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, November 1, 1998 Published at 23:07 GMT


World: Middle East

Hamas threatens Palestinian Authority

Hamas used to say their only target was Israel

Middle East
The radical Islamic group, Hamas, has warned that it could turn its guns on the Palestinian security forces if its members continue to be targeted by the authorities.

It is the first time Hamas has threatened to take action against Yasser Arafat's Palestinian Authority.


[ image: Sheikh Ahmed Yassin - Hamas leader under house arrest]
Sheikh Ahmed Yassin - Hamas leader under house arrest
The warning - in a leaflet faxed to western news agencies - comes after a renewed security operation by Palestinian police when the Hamas leader, Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, was placed under house arrest and hundreds of other activists were detained.

The statement by the military wing of Hamas, the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Battalions,accused the Palestinian Authority of betraying its own people.


BBC's Jeremy Bowen: "Instability always follows progress in peace talks"
It said "tough security measures against Hamas members may push some of them to aim their guns at Palestinian security men, instead of Israel".

Hamas used to insist that its only enemy was Israel.

Mainstream Hamas leaders disowned the threat. One, Ismail Abu-Shanab, told Qatari television that the statement "fully contradicts the Hamas strategy which seeks to spare the Palestinian society the evil of fighting regardless of circumstances or causes".


[ image: Showing support at a Hamas rally]
Showing support at a Hamas rally
Hamas is vehemently opposed to last month's interim Middle East peace agreement, under which Israel agreed to hand over 13% more of the West Bank in return for a concerted effort by the Palestinian Authority against Islamic militants.

BBC Jerusalem correspondent Jeremy Bowen says instability and danger always follow progress in the peace talks, and that threats by extremists should be taken seriously.

New settler protest

In a separate development, tensions rose in Jerusalem, when a hardline Jewish settler group started levelling a building site at Ras al-Amud, an overwhelmingly Palestinian part of the city.

Palestinian and Israeli peace campaigners chained themselves to the bulldozers in protest.


Abdel Bari Atwani: Consessions will reflect on Hamas
Meanwhile Israeli television has reported that Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has approved the building of 200 homes at a Jewish settlement, Qiryat Arba, on the outskirts of Hebron.

The report said the work would start on Monday, and suggested it was a response to the killing of an Israeli guard last week by suspected Palestinian militants.

There has been no direct word of any new settlement from the Israeli government.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

01 Nov 98 | Middle East
Fresh test for peace deal

31 Oct 98 | Middle East
Palestinians ratify peace deal

29 Oct 98 | Middle East
Hamas leader under house arrest

22 Apr 98 | PEACE IN THE BALANCE
Holy city creates unholy passions

22 Apr 98 | PEACE IN THE BALANCE
Hamas challenges the peace-makers





Internet Links


Palestinian National Authority

Hamas Charter

Office of the Israeli Prime Minister


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform