![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, November 1, 1998 Published at 12:02 GMT World: Middle East Fresh test for peace deal ![]() Police lead away a Peace Now campaigner from the disputed site Israel has given the go-ahead for building work at a controversial Jewish settlement, putting new pressure on the Middle East peace deal.
Bulldozers moved onto the site almost immediately after Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu gave permission for the work to go ahead.
Police guarding the builders are reported to have arrested three of the activists. Millionaire backing About 11,000 Arabs live in Ras al-Amud but the construction site is owned by Irving Moskovitz, an American Jewish millionaire who finances much of the hardline settler activity in Jerusalem.
Middle East Correspondent, Jeremy Bowen, says the signs are that Mr Netanyahu gave the go-ahead to appease Israeli right-wingers, who were infuriated by the Wye agreement. Opponents of the scheme have accused the Israeli Government of breaking faith with the Wye peace accord signed in Washington last month. Faisal Husseini, a senior Palestinian official in Jerusalem, said it was the first violation of the peace deal. Ras al-Amud was annexed by Israel after the 1967 war but the area remains close to the hearts of Palestinians, who want East Jerusalem to be the capital of a future state. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||