![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, November 1, 1998 Published at 05:27 GMT World: Americas Cohen says Asian states must continue funding for US military The American defence secretary, William Cohen, has cancelled a tour of Asia due to begin today because of the latest crisis over United Nations weapons inspections in Iraq. He had been due to arrive in Hong Kong and go on to both South Korea and Japan. But at a refuelling stop on Wake Island about half-way between Hawaii and Hong Kong, he announced he was abandoning the six-day trip to return to Washington for consultations on Iraq. He said the decision did NOT mean military action was imminent, but all options remained open. He said the annual security review he had been due to hold with South Korea on Tuesday would have to be rescheduled. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||