![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, November 1, 1998 Published at 13:34 GMT World: Middle East Iran begins border exercises ![]() Manoeuvres had been postponed during UN mediation Iran has started a key phase of large-scale military exercises near its border with Afghanistan.
Iranian officials say military units have launched nocturnal assaults on mock enemy targets in the Zabol region in the south-east of the country. The Iranian news agency said the operation was conducted under the light of flares and with the support of artillery, mortar and missile units. More than 200,000 troops are reported to be involved, along with jet fighters and hundreds of tanks, although some sources put the figures much lower. The operation is reported to be taking place over more than 50,000 square kilometres.
Iran reacted by sending thousands of troops to the border and starting low level manoeuvres. The BBC Kabul correspondent, William Reeve, says the UN special envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi succeeded in averting open war between the two countries.
Iran still insists that the killers of its citizens be punished and that the Taleban abide by UN resolutions calling for broader government in Afghanistan. The New York-based Human Rights Watch says Taleban forces killed 2,000 civilians in Mazar-i-Sharif, and has called for a speedy investigation by the United Nations. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||