Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, October 31, 1998 Published at 22:26 GMT


World: Americas

Ecuador extradites massacre suspect to Egypt


A principal suspect wanted for the Luxor massacre in Egypt a year ago has been extradited to Egypt from Ecuador.

The Egyptian president, Hosni Mubarak, said the man, named as Mohamed Abid Abdel Aal, is believed to have masterminded the attack, in which fifty-eight foreign tourists and four Egyptians were killed.

He was turned over to Ecuador last week by the Colombian state police.

They identified him as a leader of the Egyptian Islamic militant group al-Gamaa al-Islamiya which said it carried out the massacre.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia


In this section

From Business
Microsoft trial mediator appointed

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

From Entertainment
Taxman scoops a million

Violence greets Clinton visit

Bush outlines foreign policy

Boy held after US school shooting

Memorial for bonfire dead

Senate passes US budget

New constitution for Venezuela

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Hurricane Lenny abates

UN welcomes US paying dues

Chavez praises 'advanced' constitution

In pictures: Castro strikes out Chavez

WTO: arbitration in EU-Ecuador banana dispute

Colombian army chief says rebels defeated

Colombian president lambasts rebels