![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, November 2, 1998 Published at 16:13 GMT
Coventry want fair price for Dublin ![]() Dublin: Price dropped but not to £5m Coventry City have warned Midland rivals Aston Villa they will fight any attempt to "steal" Dion Dublin for £5m. But the Sky Blues have hinted they may accept less than £6.75m offered by Blackburn for the England striker. Villa boss John Gregory is frustrated at being unable to talk to Dublin about a possible transfer, despite a clause in the striker's contract which says he can leave for any bid over £5m. Gregory heard City chairman Bryan Richardson talk about the clause on the radio last week, and quickly faxed Coventry with a bid some way short of Blackburn's £6.75m offer. After hearing of Villa's interest Dublin promptly rejected Blackburn's approach but has been kept waiting after City insisted they would only listen to the offer from Ewood Park. His club's stance now seems to have softened with manager Gordon Strachan eager to clear up the transfer saga and Richardson ready to relent to an improved offer from Villa Park. "All we are asking is for a figure we consider represents the value of Dion Dublin," said Richardson. "We are not saying that has to be £6m, £10m or £6.75m. But there is a figure which is certainly not £5m. "I am not going to have him stolen from us at that price." Gregory confident Gregory believes a compromise can be reached. He said: "I don't think anything is going to happen until after our UEFA Cup game on Tuesday, and it is really down to the two chairmen and club officials to sort it out. "I've done everything I can. We are still not allowed to talk to Dion. The clause in his contract seems very clear, so why put £5m in there if you mean £6.75m?" Dublin has already been fined two weeks' wages for refusing to play for Coventry last week, and is currently training with the Highfield Road reserves. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||